Here are my plans for my little jaunt to NYC:
1. Eat! (but I also want to keep to a budget, so this will be difficult) – please give me your suggestions for places I must try (preferably under $25 a person. Triple points if it’s under $15 a person).
2. Night Tour to Statue of Liberty: $29 – according to officials, this is a “once in a lifetime” opportunity. So I guess I’m seizing my chance to see the Statue of Liberty at night.
3. Tango: I already have a couple of classes and milongas scoped out, thanks to the wealth of information provided by newyorktango.com.
4. Office visit & informationals with a startup I’ve been doing on a freelance project for. Very excited to put a face with a name and meet some new people.
5. Campus visit to Columbia University. When I was in middle school, Columbia was my top choice for college. I once went to sleep with a copy of the brochure tucked under my pillow. Since I’m in New York City, I figured it’d be a good opportunity to check out some MBA classes and see if the school is a good fit for me when I go back to graduate school down the road.
6. Lots of walking around during the day time, just taking in the sights and sounds of the city. A little bit of window shopping thrown in, but probably no actual shopping for the sake of my wallet.
7. Brunch, lunch, dinner, cocktails with friends. Again, did I mention that I think about food 24/7? If in doubt, please refer to 1.
8. Broadway show. I hope to get one of those cheap tickets at a kiosk 4 hours before the show starts. I really would love to see Mary Poppins, Wicked, or Chicago. Does anyone have suggestions on where / what kiosks to look for and what’s the er, strategy I should employ?
9. Shop for a little something for my landlady. What should I buy her? I don’t want to get her a cheap touristy trinket that she’ll just throw away after a few weeks (mini Statue of Liberty, I <3 New York snow globes, etc.)
10. Get souvenirs for CB, Mom, and friends. Again, ideas appreciated.
11. Catch up on Chinese homework. Because I have 3 classes the week I get back… But to make myself feel better about it, I guess I’ll budget $10 here and there to do so in a cool NYC coffee shop. 😉
After New York City, my destinations (w/in the continental US) are Austin and D.C. I don’t have any close friends in Austin though, so I might have to budget for hotels. But Austin seems like such a cool city that I really want to visit!